Passionate about wine
10 July 1890. Here our story begins. That day, five Riojan and Basque families who shared a passion for wine, founded the ‘Sociedad Vinícola de La Rioja Alta’. Thus began an exciting business venture whose founders enthusiastically shared the dream of making and ageing top-quality Rioja wines. The region with a winemaking tradition dating back thousands of years benefited from the arrival in the late 19th century of French winemakers who had been affected by the devastating phylloxera.
These are only some of the highlights of our winery's history. If you would like more information about our history, we invite you to read the chapter 'Our past, present and future' of the book 'Three centuries of La Rioja Alta, S.A.'
Select the years that are milestones in the history of La Rioja Alta, S.A.
- Five Riojan and Basque families founded the ‘Sociedad Vinícola de La Rioja Alta’ in Haro's Station Quarter. Our first president was a woman: Doña Saturnina García Cid y Gárate. Monsieur Vigier, a Frenchman, was the House's first winemaker and the Reserva 1890 (predecessor of today's Gran Reserva 890) is the first wine he made.
- Don Alfredo Ardanza, founder of La Rioja Alta and owner the Ardanza winery, proposed a merger of the two companies. To commemorate the event, we produced the Reserva 1904, predecessor of the Gran Reserva 904.
- We presented the Bikaña brand which today is maintained exclusively for the hospitality industry in Haro.
- On 28 September we registered the brand that has given the winery its greatest fame: Viña Ardanza.
- We acquired the bottling line, which was also the first Girondine to be installed in La Rioja. It had a capacity of 1000 bottles/hour.
- We presented the Viña Arana brand to replace the classic 6º Año.
- We implemented the La Rioja Alta, S.A. Club de Cosecheros for a small group of select customers. The first harvest, 1976.
- We registered the Viña Alberdi brand to replace the old Tercer Año.
- We celebrated our centennial.
- We built a new winery in the municipality of Labastida. It was equipped with state-of-the-art technology, allowing us to significantly increase the quality of our wines.
- We celebrate our one hundred and twenty-fifth anniversary.